Objective and rationale:
I wanted to make an academic website so I could share my research with the community. A custom website seemed ideal because I could finely tune the content and I could point my other online presences (like LinkedIn, ResearchGate, etc.) to a central location that I needed to keep up to date instead of update every new science media platform that comes along. After researching, I decided on an approach that uses Rblogdown + Hugo + Netlify becuase of the integration with R, great templates, and fantastic documentation.
Resources I consulted (heavily): blogdown book that girl’s website
Making my website:
First I selected the template from here: give the template site
Then following directions from here and here:
I created an R project like this (input figures)
ADding posts, publications, projects
Stuff that tripped me up:
I found that when I was first working on the webpage I would be trucking along and then all the sudden the live reload didn’t work. Since I have little to no HTML experience, I didn’t realise that it was simply me making a mistake and the system doesn’t give verbose reasons. For that reason, I strongly recommend making small changes, saving, observing, tc.
Some templates were less robust than others. I’d play around with a template quite a bit before committing to it.
summary(cars) ## speed dist ## Min. : 4.0 Min. : 2.00 ## 1st Qu.:12.0 1st Qu.: 26.00 ## Median :15.0 Median : 36.00 ## Mean :15.4 Mean : 42.98 ## 3rd Qu.:19.0 3rd Qu.: 56.00 ## Max. :25.0 Max. :120.00 fit <- lm(dist ~ speed, data = cars) fit ## ## Call: ## lm(formula = dist ~ speed, data = cars) ## ## Coefficients: ## (Intercept) speed ## -17.579 3.932
You can also embed plots. See Figure 1 for example:
par(mar = c(0, 1, 0, 1)) pie( c(280, 60, 20), c('Sky', 'Sunny side of pyramid', 'Shady side of pyramid'), col = c('#0292D8', '#F7EA39', '#C4B632'), init.angle = -50, border = NA )